Search for atmospheres
Six months later, in September, Quentin and Alice spent the first day of their Third Year at Brakebills sitting outside a small square Victorian outbuilding about a half mile from the House. It was a piece of pure folly architecture, a miniature house, white with a gray roof, complete with windows and gables, that might at one time have been servants’ quarters, or a guest cottage, or a largish garden shed.
There was a weathervane on top, wrought iron and shaped like a pig, that always pointed somewhere other than where the wind was blowing. Quentin couldn’t make out anything through the windows, but he thought he heard snatches of conversation coming from inside. The cottage stood on the edge of a wide hayfield.
It was midafternoon. The sky was blue and the early autumn sun was high. The air was silent and still. A rusted-out old piece of farm machinery stood half drowned in the same long grass it used to mow.
Comments for "The Cottage"
License details for "The Cottage"
Creative Commons Sampling Plus 1.0 License.
List of audio files used:
- 1840s Grandfather Clock by daveincamas from http://www.freesound.org/people/daveincamas/sounds/27077/ +)
- Fireplace by dobride from http://freesound.org +)
- Lighting cigarette by freesound.org +)
- Cup Spoon Hot Water* by http://freesound.org +)
- Page Turn by http://www.freesound.org/people/flag2/sounds/63318/ +)
- gleam-glow-sfx-chime by NoiseCollector from http://freesound.org +)
- Chalk by Sound Effects +)
- crowd chat by vahid +)